Session completed next Gallery event will be in the fall of 2019
Photograph New Mexico Desert Dark Skies, Sunrises over the largest lake in New Mexico and Rio Grande (river). Each day have your special photograph enlarged (18×24) by a professional photo lab PhotoArt Imaging, to present at the review session. Opportunity to see and feel all types of photographic papers, canvas, metal, tile, glass, wood and outdoor UV protected prints. Saturday night have your favorite image from the retreat enlarged on Canvas or Metal print (24×36) to have displayed in RioBravoFineArt Gallery with over 300 persons coming to see your photographs during Art Hop
August 8 – 11th, 2018 (3 days and 3 nights)
Arrive evening of August 9th and leave morning of August 12th.
In this 3 day, 3 night workshop you have an opportunity to go past practice-based techniques to realize your photography – “Reflective, effective expression”.
From seeing and believing – to believing then seeing. Sourcing imagination and intuition for your best work. Digging deeply into your gifts and finding how they can lift the world around you.
TRC – Truth or Consequences, New Mexico (Is this really a place?) – Yes!
Daily one on one and group visual design coaching and critique sessions – access to world-class printing on a range of media in one of the most beautiful places on the Earth, where the air and water are clean and light magical.
What do you need to bring
- High-end digital cameras to/and/or Smart-phone,Tablet.
- Means to transfer your files via a internet connection.
Q&A – Can I use my camera for night photography?
- Smartphone or tablet – Yes, you will have to download app (under $5.00).
- Point and Shoot cameras – Yes, if it has a manual mode for the shutter and self timer, or continuous Shoot / burst mode, or with built in software on some models.
- DSLR – Yes, with a trigger release or with built in software on some models.
- Mirrorless Cameras – Yes, with a trigger release or with built in software on some models.
This is a great opportunity to test out equipment and then have a better idea of what you need to buy to continue your night photography.
We can provide you with the rest of the equipment required to photograph dark skies.
Equipment that we can provide for you to use during the retreat.
- Remote trigger with interval shooting option for 1 camera (for most cameras, please send us your camera make and model to see if trigger is available).
- Cell phone / tablet holder for tripod.
- Night vision headlight with red LED.
- Camera rain protection.
- Tripod medium stability with sand bags for increased stability. (Learn how to make you current tripod work for night photography).
- Light painting and foreground lighting equipment.
What caused this effect?
With access to a fully equipped Professional Print Lab – PhotoArt Imaging, your images will come alive on paper, or metal, or canvas, to fully express the texture of your work, as well as its visual design. See your reflective expression turn into reality for Thursday and Friday afternoon critique and visual coaching sessions.
Photograph Prints (Included for each Student)
- Professional Prints (2) (18″x 24″) of one selected images for afternoon critique.
- Professional print (24″x36″) on your choice photographic papers, canvas, or metal from a list of selective products. (Larger sizes and different media or specialized prints available at an extra cost.)
A major gallery showing of your work with other students on the last day of the retreat offers a unique and special space to grow deeper into your work, to be part of Saturday evening “Art Hop” that attracts > 300 people to view and possible purchase your work. Your work will be display at RioBravoFineArt Gallery (6-9pm Saturday August 11, 2018).
Your photographs will be for sale. You set your price and contract with the gallery owner for commissions. This will offer you a “unique” real life experience. An opportunity to exhibit and sell your photographic images at the high level of quality all galleries require.
Saturday Night Gallery Show (ART HOP)
- Exhibit your Photographic image “24×36”
- Contact with interested persons viewing your photograph.
- Be part of Art Hop
TRC – Scenic sunrises, twilight, and infinite skies – in and around Elephant Butte Lake and Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.
Dark Skies (Astrophotography)
- Star Party at the largest lake in New Mexico, Elephant Butte Lake.
- Star & Moon Trails
- Perseid Meteor Shower
- Milky Way
- Reflections on the lake
- Sunrise and Sunsets over the lake
- Beginner to Intermediate
- Some familiarity of manual operation on digital camera is preferred
- All age levels are welcome.
- Some light hiking on uneven surfaces (Hills, sand, and rocky).
- Limited to 10 people
Equipment Nice to Have but not Required.
- Your own laptop computer
- Photo editing software for post processing of your images to prepare for print and be able to export your files to JPEG and/or TIFF (Photoshop, Lightroom, Corel Photo – Paint or etc.).
- USB thumb drive, and/or cable for your camera to transfer your files to your computer.
Camera Equipment –
- Camera bodies – 1 or more ( nice to have one dedicated to Star Trails)
- Camera Bodies batteries – 2 or more with chargers (Dark Skies will use 2-3 per night)
- Sturdy tripod(s)
- Shutter cable release or wireless remote with interval shooting option.
- Rain protection
- Cleaning supplies.
- Lens-bring what you’re comfortable with using.
* Note there is no camera supply stores within 100 miles.
- This time of year year is a monsoon season so afternoon storms are likely – average temperatures range (64 – 92°F).
- Nice clothing for Gallery Showing
- Layer clothing is highly recommended.
- Comfortable hiking/walking shoes
- Long sleeves if your sensitive to sunlight
- Rain gear
Your Guides & Instructors
- Kenny Rogers: Owner of PhotoArt Imaging in T or C, printer extraordinaire, former Official US Navy Photographer
- Ione Hunt von Herbing Ph.D.: Veteran teacher, natural historian, science and nature photographer
*Guides & Instructors Subject to change
So Join Us!… And be prepared to see the world through new eyes!
Price for Retreat $1250
Not Included: Retreat price does not include lodging or most food (welcome appetizer reception included).
Lodging: Several local reasonably priced motels starting at $50 per night and up.
Travel: Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the retreat.
CONTACT US FOR QUESTIONS & REGISTRATION APPLICATION